Rotary's Short Term Exchange Program (STEP) presents opportunities for students to advance their knowledge and world understanding by allowing them to briefly live in a different country. The STEP program is a family-to-family multi-week (normally summer) exchange program. Typically, the Colorado student will first travel to the foreign student’s home and spend 3-5 weeks there, followed by the foreign student coming to the Colorado home for 3-5 weeks. While Rotary facilitates the match, most of the logistics, including travel dates and flight arrangements, are handled by the families. The Colorado family must agree to host the foreign student, or identify a suitable host family. Host families must complete the application, all adults must clear a background check and complete training requirements.
STEP guidelines for Students:
• Ages 15-19
• Reside in Rotary District 5470
• Are of good character who desire to experience life abroad and host in return
• Who are adaptable, mature and want to experience life in other countries and cultures
• Children of Rotarians and non-Rotarians are equally eligible
• Exchanges may be arranged with any of the countries with which District 5470 participates in long-term exchange programs; however, due to reversed school calendars, there may be limited options available for students wishing to travel to the southern hemisphere.
STEP guidelines for Parents:
• Must apply and be approved as host family
• Complete assigned online Youth Protection traning